San Francisco Bay Area Serious Burn Injury Specialist
A burn injury can be one of the most traumatic personal injuries a person can suffer. The financial, mental and physical costs of recovering from a burn injury are staggering. Serious burn injuries can commonly require long term hospitalization, doctors' visits, physical therapy and often require extensive counseling to help overcome the mental trauma associated with a burn injury.
According to the United States Fire Administration, a division of the Federal Emergency Management Agency:
- Fires kill about 500 children ages 14 and under each year and injure approximately 40,000 other children.
- In 2003, about 83,300 children under the age of 14 were treated for burn injuries in hospital emergency rooms.
- Hot tap water scald burns cause more deaths and hospitalizations than any other hot liquid burns.
- The most common causes of product-related thermal burn injuries among children ages 14 and under are hair curlers, curling irons, room heaters, ovens and ranges, irons, gasoline, and fireworks.
- By 2004 only three quarters of all homes had a least one working smoke alarm.
Recently, I represented a family whose very young daughter was seriously burned by a gas fireplace in a plush resort.
As any of my clients will tell you, I take all of my cases seriously and personally – this one especially.
I have two young daughters and I am deeply moved and troubled by injuries to children. In this case, as in all my cases, we brought together a team of experts who were able to analyze and ultimately testify that the fireplace was defective, and that the hotel was also negligent.
Thankfully, the young girl will make a full recovery. We were able to recover a very significant amount of money for her, due to the defendant's negligence.